SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 08:22:44 -0600
Brian Tanner writes:
"Not to put down Krin Gobbard's insights into The Mask, they are very
interesting and thought-provoking, but I wondered if anyone has actually read
the comic book that the Mask is based on and if there are any "black"
references in it as well.  One must remember that the original material the
movie is based on is a green-faced "super-hero", at first I thought that Krin
might be stretching the arguement too far but the more I read, the more it
seemed that the screenwriters/actors may have converted a "costume"/mask into
something more.  Of course, I haven't read the comic or have yet seen the
movie so I'm not the one qualified to rebuke or support anything at this
time.  Just wanted people to be aware of the original material before drawing
any undue conclusions.  Of course, when has Hollywood bothered trying to stay
true to the original material?  (Just a cynical statement and not meant to
spark another debate)."

I haven't read the comic (I'm still stuck in the very mainstream but strangely
changing DC universe), but did want to note the many cartoon crossreferences.
A number of people have noted the Tex Avery steals from RED HOT RIDING HOOD
and others, but there
s also a lot of reference to Warner Bros., especially the work of Friz Freleng.
The Mask whirls about like the Tasmanian Devil (seen on a throw pillow in
the apt.); the encounter at Landfill Park plays off of Pepe LePew (a Chuck
Jones steal from Maurice Chevalier); and the nightclub/Latin dancing scenes
as well as the Oscar scene are appropriated from Bugs Bunny (with a nod to
 Sally field of course).
--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN