SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

Sender:
From:
John G Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 21:02:44 -0400
On Thu, 4 Aug 1994, John R Groch wrote:
> Does this sound to anyone else like the 1950s?  The key to big box office
> is providing something that tv can't, so let's go with...CinemaScope!
> Technicolor!  3-D!  THX Sound!  Computer animation!  Huge explosions!  I'm
> not sure what to make of that, since the economics of entertainment are so
> different now than they were then, but I'm struck by the possible
> similarities.  Any thoughts?

        Yes, indeed!  Wasn't it but a few years ago that the death of movies
was eminent because of the explosion of VCR's?  Might it be that the
emphasis on pyrotechnics might be a way of doing battle with the limits of
the conventional TV screen, the speakers etc?  And even if TV's are
getting bigger to accommodate the bigger F/X, who makes those bigger TV's
but some of the same corporations that own Paramount etc.  Now if only Oswald
could fit in here ...