SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Roger Bullis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 13:07:42 -0500
Having been recently fascinated, outraged, and ultimately enlightened by
the recent thread, allow me to add another THANK YOU to Donna Cunningham
for adding scholarly insight to the mud-slinging.

For the mud-slingers I thought you might want to make use of the
picture below with your future posts.

For the record, I find this dialogue much more intriguing and valuable
than the endless requests for film titles with food, films with tunnels,
dwarfs, etc. I don't know what people are doing with these, but I
shudder to think about reading the articles or papers being written.

At other times I'd like to shout "Spend six bucks for Maltin's book, dammit!"

The last time I posted a note to this list was about three months ago
and I got verbally beat up by a few participants for a minor historical
faux pas. I suppose there will always be those who have nothing better to do
than lurk in bushes and pounce at the most innocuous comment or the
most minor infraction, yet John has taken this impudence to a new low level.

Why is it that I find the calls for censorship of the flamers worse than
the flaming itself? Am I the only one who feels this way?

And why would anyone believe that the intemperate remarks of the chief
flamer, Mr. Thomas, would be taken seriously by thoughtful people?

It's important that we choose our battles carefully. Thomas doesn't
deserve time, energy or regard. His ideas are firmly etched in concrete
in his mind.

Yeah, O.K. The flaming continues. (But just one post from me.) Sorry.
I feel better now. Back to the bushes.

"The more ignorant the authority, the more dogmatic it is. In the fields
where no real knowledge is even possible, the authorities are the
fiercest and most assured and punish non-belief with the severest
of penalties."
        ---Abraham Meyerson

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument"
        ---William G. McAdoo"
 JOHN---(or insert other name here)
                               _______
 I THOUGHT #--/ \
                          | \______ |
 ABOUT YOU - ---^^- / /
                                    ||/
 TODAY... /^/^^\/ \
                        0___O_\O_/ |
                        | /
                        | .._( / /
                         \ ____/ || | //
                            ^/^^^ | | ||
                         ^^/^^^^^^^| \ __ /|
                        ^^^^^^ ^^| \ / \
      _O_ ^^^^^ __| \____/ |
     O=O=O ^^^ \ / |
   /|/^^^\|\ \_/ ( \
 O|-| 0 |-|O /| |\__________\ |
   \|\___/|/ _____ | | | ______\ \ \
    |: | :| / ____/ | / ____/ \
    |: | :| \(_ / \ \(_ / |

                                \|/
                               (o o)
 | The immature poet imitates; the mature poet plagiarizes --T.S. Eliot |
 | The immature poet imitates; the mature poet plagiarizes --Roger Bullis |

                Roger Bullis ([log in to unmask])
                        Division of Communication
        University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, WI 54481 USA