SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 09:47:49 -0600
An addition to my other entry on GUMP--the technical quality of the film is
good, but the much-touted "documentary" footage I thought was not that great.
  The visual contrast, especially in the color footage, between Gump and
the others was pretty obvious, as were the dubbed voices of Kennedy, Nixon
and Johnson. On the other hand, far more insidious are the FX we are not
meant to notice. You may have read, for instance, that the anti-Vietnam
rally of some 40,000 people was actually just a few hundred extras who
were then multiplied by computer--now that's scary!

BTW, I went to school in DC from 1967 to 1971 and witnessed the rally
represented in GUMP. (The first major antiwar rally in the capital that
was the subject of Norman Mailer's ARMIES OF THE NIGHT.) Was Abby Hoffman
even at that one? At least the film doesn't have Gump giving inspriration
to Mailer or Robert Lowell!