SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 06:58:26 -0600
Posted on July 11:
"Thus it's not a racial issue, or a gender one, for that matter, from my
own perspective.  But the fact that African Americans are responding the
way they are reveals a great deal about the place they feel they hold
within this culture.
But perhaps there are European-Americans (J.T., I know you'll hate the PC
terms...sorry) who are looking at O.J. Simpson in a racial context, as
the lynching they've been waiting for.  Any takers, on this subject? "

For what it's worth, I noticed the following headlines on supermarket tabloids
this week:  "OJ's Dad Drag Queen Who Died of AIDS" and "Sex Secrets That
Drove OJ Crazy".  (Quotes are not guaranteed for exactitude--but they are
close)  I've seen others as well--just the start, I'm sure.  Someone certainly
knows how to exploit certain perspectives!

Glad that the statistics war has quieted down (unless this is like a Bosnian
cease-fire) and I too will miss Allison's postings.  As Mark Twain said,
there are 3 kinds of lies--"lies, damned lies . . . and statistics".
--Don Larsson