SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Sender:
From:
"P.G. Springer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 1994 09:15:02 -0500
On Fri, 8 Jul 1994, MECHAR,KYLE WILLIAM,MR wrote:

> Despite the film's banal attempts to bring AIDS into
> the lives of middle America, everything is set up to ensure the
> traditonal family wins out.

> There are more complex subtexts operating that need
> to be adressed.

Wins out?  Against?  Good grief, this ongoing argument against
Philadelphia and Tom Hanks reveals some of the most paranoid, precious,
overanalyzed nonsense ever.  It almost makes one want to take sides with
those rightists who point out the dangers of political correctness.  If
anything, Philadelphia gave viewers the opportunity to identify with Denzel
Washington's fears or with Hanks' loving family and in the process
aligned our relationship and identification with gay people in a way
previously never allowed in a Hollywood movie.

PGregorySpringerschwaermerdadathepdoesnotstandforpope