SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Sender:
From:
"P.G. Springer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 13:19:33 -0500
I'm not arguing with any comments read so far about Gump.  I, too, was
put off by the political portraits of the 60s counterculture, Black
Panthers, etc.  And my first assumption was that Jenny had contracted
AIDS (the calendar notes that it is 1982 as she explains her "virus that
the doctors don't know what it is.")  She was shown sharing needles
earlier.  I think the filmmakers attempted to
give the impression that they weren't "taking sides" -- Lieutenant Dan is
foolishly gung-ho, Jenny and friends are simply foolish -- but here is
one movie that seems clearly unbalanced in its political and moral
perspective.

PGregorySpringerschwaermerdadathepdoesnotstandforpope