SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 1994 15:11:53 -0700
On Wed, 6 Jul 1994, Catherine Stratton wrote:

> Sounds like you get your facts the same place Rush Limbaugh gets his. It's
> not that women don't play a part - Lorena Bobbitt SHOULD have gone to jail -
> but please don't make it sound like men are the victims here.

        Dear Catherine:

                Why do you immediately say something about Rush
Limbaugh? Whats he got to do with this discussion? I don't listen to
his program, but obviously you do or you wouldn't know so much about
whatever it is he talks about.

        Getting back to the discussion, rather than whatever it is your
talking about right now, the facts are just that...facts. You can read
them yourself. I didn't run the study. The point I'm trying to make is
this: Films/TV, etc., have all sorts of effects on us, and not just in
the obvious ways. The slanted, and quite far from the truth "leaning" of
the filmmakers and TV folks, can cause a lot of damage to society in
general.

        If films would treat the subject honestly, we might be able to
solve some of these problems that all of us live with. If television
would deal with the facts, rather than with a politically motivated, (and
GREEDY)spin on the truth, we'd be SO much better off.

        It seems as though television especially, would rather deny
things it feels uncomfortable with.

"So here I am sitting in a jacuzzi with bubbles shooting up my ___ and a
  bottle of Wild Turkey in my hand. Now I know I've made it!"
                                        ("Middle Aged Crazy")
---------------->from John G. Thomas ([log in to unmask]) <-------------------