SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Errol Vieth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 14:55:25 +0000
A couple of days ago Denise wrote:
-----------------------------------

Och, we're just not postmodern enough, I fear. I'm used to getting
shot down. Some people just seem to want to make other people's
lives a plethora of guilt and self-flagellation, punctuated by
loud and fervent sanctimonious diatribes about the Derridean
margins of chocolate chips.

Or something like that.

I make a pretty rotten academic--but a damned GOOD film critic, I
think. Alas, criticism doesn't pay (much) compared to teaching
18-year-olds the joys of writing, and so I'll stick around academia
and vociferously refuse to be assimilated.

"We are Borg; you will be assimilated|" sounds an awful lot like
"we are Politically Correct; you will be sensitized|" to me.

Just like to say that I have followed your posts in all the recent
controversies. You sound like a refreshing blast of water in the
superheated swamp of resentment, anger and guilt.

Like you, I refuse to be assimilated into the othodoxies of this
department; the same orthodoxies that one must proclaim in order to be a
'real person'. As my kids would say: suckful!

Keep the keyboard working.

Errol Vieth
Department of Communication and Media Studies/ Faculty of Arts
Central Queensland University
ROCKHAMPTON MC QLD 4702
AUSTRALIA
e-mail [log in to unmask]