SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Denise Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 15:57:08 CDT
>Denise,
>
>I heartily agree with you. Movies are foremost entertainment. Any effort to
>educate or extract a response beyond enjoyment is secondary. I posted a
>similar opinion on CINEMA-L and got shot down for it too.
>
>Guy

Och, we're just not postmodern enough, I fear. I'm used to getting
shot down. Some people just seem to want to make other people's
lives a plethora of guilt and self-flagellation, punctuated by
loud and fervent sanctimonious diatribes about the Derridean
margins of chocolate chips.

Or something like that.

I make a pretty rotten academic--but a damned GOOD film critic, I
think. Alas, criticism doesn't pay (much) compared to teaching
18-year-olds the joys of writing, and so I'll stick around academia
and vociferously refuse to be assimilated.

"We are Borg; you will be assimilated|" sounds an awful lot like
"we are Politically Correct; you will be sensitized|" to me.

Go well,

Denise Bryson, Language and Literature

= Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot =
= change, the strength to change those things I can, and =
= the wisdome to hide the bodies of those I've killed =
= because they PISSED ME OFF| - Anonymous _ =