SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 15:49:48 EDT
I've been holding back on Allan Siegel's query about a Godard/Rocha
interview, expecting someone smarter than I to come up with the
reference.  Smarter people have appeared, but no one's come up with
an answer yet.  So here's my half-baked suggestion.

I've been looking through the bibliography in Julia Lesage's massive
reference guide to Godard.  Unfortunately, it's indexed only by authors
and film titles, not by subjects or names included in annotations.  There
are citations for a couple of articles written by Rocha, in which he appears
to have referred to Godard, and there are, of course, many publications
with Godard's by-line.  In neither case is there a reference to a published
dialogue.  I cast around in a couple of other sources, where I might have
expected to find a reference (like James Roy MacBean's article on Vent d'est),
but found zilch.

There is, however, a reference to an article, "Godard Interviews Solanas,"
Liberated Guardian 1, no. 19 (11 March 1971): 17 (entry 2273 in Lesage),
which appears to be a translation of "Godard por Solanas, Solanas por
Godard," Cine del tercer mundo, no. 1 (October 1969).  It wasn't clear to
me whether Allan had a copy of the article and was looking for bibliographic
details or (more likely, as I recall) was looking for a citation in order
to get the article.  If it was the latter case, I'm wondering if someone
along the line mixed up the two South American filmmakers.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6