SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Daniel Pisano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 12:10:07 MESZ
John G.,

[about 'looping' in filmmaking]

> It's best(and cheapest), to record these alternative words at the
> same time as you shoot the scene so that room presence and performance
> remain the same. Words that are replaced later, at a sound studio, NEVER
> sound right.

So do I get it right, that there are even different dialogue versions of
films out there?
What about the videos?

I don't get it.
And I thoguht that the US were the freest country in the world, but now
with all the cutting, dubbing, editing and opportunism I don't know any more.

> A lot of other reasons too, including
> getting rid of them "bad" words. The "Hollywood" system places a lot of
> emphasis on the often total replacement of dialog and production effects
> in a film. (Keeps a lot of people on the payroll!)

No techno-bore - sincere interest.
Please tell me more about it.

Daniel