SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Tim Panton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 1994 10:58:38 +0200
Shawn Levy writes :
> but in sum I must agree with the earlier post that said that what

> is wrenchingly human about the atrocities in the film -- and the

> holocaust in general -- is not the specific death of a sole person

> but the vast, barbaric totality.

Not in my opinion. The point of "Schindler's Ark" (the book - I have

not seen the film) was that _individuals_ are important. Schindler,

on his own, made a difference - to the individuals he saved.

There is a nice exchange in an SF book between a relatively

unsophisticated planet resident and an high-tech anthopologist who
get caught up in a war that illustrates my point:-
        anthropologist: "At times like these one man's life is not

important."
        native: "It it is not, what is?"
(Roccanon's World - U Le Guin - I think)
Tim.