SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 1994 19:08:24 -0700
On Sun, 5 Jun 1994, Helen Mellett wrote:

>  _Once Upon a Time in America_ aired this weekend on A&E...

        Its my understanding there are more than two versions out there.
Once Upon a Time is one of my all-time favorites and a semi-hobby of
mine.  I first saw it in film school, with Leoni in person, and I was a
lost cause after that.  Incredible, but often over looked.

        There is a 16mm version, at least four syndication versions, and
god knows what all on video.  I have a copy of Morricone's soundtrack
which still holds up so well.  There is talk about re-releasing it again
in a few major towns.

        The opening sequence is a text book on sound effects.  I remember
Leoni saying that the film was shot in "Techniscope."  35mm, but only
pulling down three perfs at a time.  The process was quite popular at the
time.  I think the "Conformist" was also shot in that format.

        And what a cast!

-------->from John G. Thomas([log in to unmask])in Hollywierd,Calif.<---------
         Michael Jackson's new film (A Western)   "Lonesome Glove"