SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Erika Mijlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 18:49:20 EDT
For a less mainstream take on the Gulf War, try contacting
Paper Tiger TV, based out of Rutgers University, I believe. They produce
interesting short docs crtiquing/analyzing popular culture and contemporary
newsmedia. I know for a fact they have one specifically on the Gulf War. I
remember the video being witty, critical of news anchor glorification (Dan
Rather pretending to be in Real Danger, etc), and intelligent - How media
manipulates 'real news' images that we take at face value, How NOT to take
such images ('smart bombs', etc) at face value. A valuable classroom tool,
I would think.
Sorry I can't remember a specific title or address. Best of luck.

Erika Mijlin