SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 1994 01:24:28 -0700
I have a difficult time looking at even the most innane television program
or film without seeing something political in it.  I think this is
because for me, any representation has some stance, some relationship to
dominant cultural perceptions.  How do you all view this topic?  It seems
as if we wouldn't all be taking this so seriously if there wasn't
something very serious indeed about the effects of and meaning within,
film and t.v.
I must thank Klaus Eder.  I have been absorbed with German film and
history for a while now - to me, WWII and the events in Germany were the
hallmark of our century, and Rainer W. Fassbinder, and Wim Wenders are
two of the century's best filmmakers...emotion reveals the effect of the
political on the personal...the soul of Germany, and of us all.
Can anyone recommend to me other film/art/or cultural studies discussion
lists?  I am enjoying this so much, I know there is even more out there.
Thank you in advance -
Constance Atwill
UCSantaBarbara
"It's hallucinatory!" - E.B.