SCREEN-L  June 1994

SCREEN-L June 1994

Re: Snow White & powerful women !!

"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Jun 1994 22:34:51 -0700

On Mon, 20 Jun 1994, Denise Bryson wrote:

> Frankly, instead of demonizing _Snow White_ as a sexist picture, I
> prefer to think of it as one of the few films that eschewed sizism by
> using vertically-challenged characters in integral roles.  Although
> today we may be more inclined to question the stereotypes of dwarves
> as hard-working happy people, in its time, _Snow White_ was a daring
> slap in the face of the anti-short establishment.

        I agree completely with MS. Bryson's comments concerning the
high degree of sizism throughout the lamentable, "Snow White," a low
point in terms of the sensitivity we all strive for.  I very much
appreciate her taking the time to point out this early instance of sizism.
I am ashamed to say that I used to look down at these small brother and
sisters of ours as, well, I'll say it: short people.  Once again, thanks
Ms. Bryson for opening my eyes to yet another cinematic example of low
brow injustice, primarily fostered on us by non-vertically challenged
white males.  Lets not lower ourselves to their level again.

---------------->from John G. Thomas ([log in to unmask])<--------------------
                 "Save the Rain Forest and the whales"