SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Alison McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 15:16:00 PDT
I admire the manner in which Gene Stavis has been arguing his view of
of the development of film history, and as it happens, I find myself in
general agreement with his points. I have also found the majority
of the posts from those who disagree with Gene, or who challenge certain
statements, equally useful and thought-provoking.

However, I am not sure that the level of this discussion -- or any other --
is enhanced by the kind of sarcasm exhibited in Denise Bryson's post
(attached).  This is not to attack Denise per se . . . I'm rather fond of
sarcasm myself . . . but it seems to me that this is the kind of stuff that
can lead to flame wars -- which, most folks agree, get boring fast.

Potentially, I might be inclined to agree with some of the ideas
which Denise's remarks imply, but as they stand now, they
seem both dismissive and disrespectful -- and the debate so far, regardless of
what side one takes, has been neither.

Alison McKee
Department of Film and Television
UCLA