SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Jim Wehmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 10:52:55 -0600
Gordon Peffer wrote:

>I'm trying to find some material on TV acting styles. The sources I've
>looked at so far, Berg & Wenner, Allen, Newcombe, Ellis, have little
>or nothing on acting at all. The only thing I've seen is the section
>in this list moderator's text, _Building Narrative: Character, Actor,
>Star_. Have I missed something? Why is there such a paucity of
>material on TV acting? lthough there is stuff on the star system

You might give a look at David Thorburn's article "television melodrama"
in any of the recent a editii ons of Newcomb's TV: The Critical View.
He's becoming a cranky defender of aesthetic /textual approaches (
(protests a bit too much?), but he really conveys a sense for the essential
qualities of "TV Acting"
Also a recent article of his in Critical Studies in Mass Communication where
he analyzes Lonesome Dove, using the acting as one the key factors (at
least that's what I remember he does).

Jim Wehmeyer
Wehm,eyer [log in to unmask]