SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Marc Pitre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 14:25:39 -0700
I am not familiar with the work of Riefenstahl, but this discussion makes me
ask the question: If Riefenstahl's abhorrent political views make it
innapropriate to defend her on artistic grounds, then why is D.H. Lawrence's
_Birth of a Nation_ canonized based on it's groundbreaking approach to film-
making?

Being a black person, I have never felt comfortable with the near universal
reverence directed at Lawrence and his film filled with Ku Klux Klan
propaganda. I'm curious about the thoughts of others . . .

Marc [log in to unmask]

[stuff deleted]