SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
"John G. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 15:12:11 -0700
        You must love this technical "punishment."  Yes the red colors,
and to some degree the other primary colors have slowly died over the
years. Most people forget that movie film is quite organic in its
manufacture...contains leaves and tree bark for instance...a good
explanation for the fading of certain colors.

        The yellow box people assure everyone(after a few law suits)that
the fading is under control. I recently suffered through one of my
earlier films and the fading was quite noticeable. The main problem
occured with the reversal stocks used years ago. But then, who would
know that 10-20 years later the colors would degrade? Some notable films
shot with that reversal stock were "Woodstock", and a film I was
associated with, "Monterey Pop." (Woodstock was all 16mm reversal stock
blown up to 35mm.)

        Oddly enough, some of the very first attempts at color film
including the Technicolor three strip process were longer lasting than
later technology.

-------->from John G. Thomas([log in to unmask])in Hollywierd,Calif.<---------