SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 14:45:01 -0500
>On Tue, 7 Jun 1994, David Desser wrote:
>
>> I AGRE (sic) WITH MUCH OF THE ABOVE. But, again, time does not permit a
>full
>> disquisition. However, I would say re: THE WILD BUNCH not to overlook the
>> "Vietmnam" connection--quite in support of the notion that films can tell
>> us much about the times in which they were produced.
>> David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
>
>So, ah. . . at the risk of getting trashed again: What does _Maverick_
>"tell us. . . about the times in which [it was] produced"?
>
>--Patrick

To Patrick--what do you mean "getting trashed again." I, for one, have
found this bulletin board exchange to be quite exciting and intelligent!
On to the question--one thing it tells us is that people will see almost
anything. _Maverick_ is a hit. Even more depressing, however (since I
enjoyed _Maverick_ but found it "disappointing" which means I hoped for
more!) is the success of _The Flintstones_ which is a terrible movie!
   I think _Maverick_ also does tell us that we have a certain nostalgia
for the West/Western, but we are too cynical, and probably too
historically/politically aware, to accept the Western as once we did, but
wish we could!

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL 61801
217/244-2705