SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 10:48:23 EDT
Back in the late 60's Talbott's book was one of my texts in film
school. There weren't very many film texts then, and few established
academic programs...In the beginning of the 70's more film texts
suitable for "course work" were published, probably out of the
frustration of trying to find a book that did what needed to be
done in film courses to introduce the medium...
So much theory has been written in the past 20 years that has
been considered more "avante garde" and current than Talbott's
anthology of early theorists...semiotics isn't mentioned
in Talbott's anthology, and deconstructionism,...linguistics
and philosophy had not taken over film theory back then...
Someone who can handle I.A. Richards literary theories of
metaphor can certainly handle Bill Nichols'book, however,
it wouldn't be a bad idea to begin with something more basic
just to get the jargon down, and what the basic issues have
been....I paricularly like a book I used to use alot in my
theory courses...Perkins' Film as Film. It is the British
approach as opposed to the French approach to film theory,and
I found it very helpful as an approach to film analysis.

Sandy Dwiggins

--

+ Sandy Dwiggins Internet: [log in to unmask] +
+ Building 82, Room 111 Phone: (301) 496-7406 +