SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Helen Mellett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Mellett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 14:55:48 CDT
 Tom  -

 It was not my intention to imply the discussion of strong women in Hollywood
 is being dominated by men.  There was a posting a few days ago about wanting
 to hear women's views.

 It is true that more women are portrayed as aggressive or taking part in
 violent acts, and some are heroic.  _Ms_ ran an interesting article a few
 years ago discussing _Eve of Destruction_, _La Femme Nakita_, _Terminator 2_,
 and a few others.  If I remember correctly, the author argues that women
 using violence to save children or the world, was acceptable but women
 taking part in violence for its own sake, was not.  Perhaps things are
 changing?

 Helen.

 Helen Mellett                  "The eyes of others our prisons;
 Reference Services Librarian         their thoughts our cages."
 North Central College                        ---Virginia Woolf
 [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]