SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 18:48:13 -0700
> Censorship of such a film is unthinkable. One cannot
understand the history
> of film or society without considering it.

> Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

Gene,

Censorship of such a film is unthinkable - yes, I agree with you.
However, the history of film (and society) is, I think, comprehensible
without it.  How about showing Quo Vadis?(1912), or Cabiria(1913) as
representative of early features (both precede BOAN), and then show clips
from Griffith's film?  Having had to sit through it three times in
school, I can't honestly say it is not more remarkable than, say Cabiria,
and in my opinion it is far less engaging.