SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
"M.S. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 1994 13:11:33 -0700
On Tue, 17 May 1994, Bill Vasilion wrote:

>         I have to say any of the films from the 50's and early 60's
>        namely some of the Lancaster, Kirk Douglas films and Burt's work
>        with HEcht HIll Lancaster productions.
>                         thanks       bill     [log in to unmask]

The film is I WALK ALONE (1947, dir: Byron Haskin), but I don't beleive it
was a HEcht-Lancaster production.

 I think "Apache" in '54 was the first of the Hecht-Lancaster
productions, with James Hill acting as producer on those earlier ones,
but not getting his name above the title 'til later. I don't recall when
Douglas' Brynna Productions got underway...

 An interesting source for other undervalued films is the first of the
National Society of Film Critics collections. It is called "Produced and
abandoned; the best films you've never seen", and came out in 1990.