SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 1994 08:03:57 CDT
On Fri, 6 May 1994 03:19:02 -0400 Mary C. Kalfatovic said:
>Kazan's WILD RIVER (1960) as a fine water oriented movie.  Montgomery
>Clift (looking a bit worse for wear) plays a TVA agent who must make a
>fiesty old woman (Jo Van Fleet) accept that she has no choice but to leave
>her farm because it is going to be flooded by the just completed dam
>upriver.  The movie does a good job of showing both sides of an argument.
>Something that benefits the many can be harmful to the few.  Both Clift and
>Van Fleet are sympathetic characters.  Sadly, I don't think WILD RIVER is
>on video and I have never seen it on TV since many of the color prints of
>the movie have faded to a purplish tone.  WILD RIVER flopped in the U.S.

...and, additionally, the original was in 'Scope so the panned/scanned
TV prints never really did it justice.

Leonard Maltin confirms what Mary suggested:  It does not appear to
be available on videocassette.

P.S.  It also features a touching romance between Clift's character and
that of Lee Remick--not long after her debut in A FACE IN THE CROWD
(1957).  (WILD RIVER was released in '60.)

          Percentage of the papers presented to the Organization of
          American Historians in 1993 whose subject is a historical
          figure:  5

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |