SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

From:
Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 11:58:31 -0500
When BLOW-UP came out, the very brief shot of Vanessa Redgrave's nipples
was highly controversial. Chicago was going through several years of
bitter censorship battles (which ended with less censorship, but did not
produce an actual winner). I saw BLOW-UP in its first-run at a downtown
theater, a few days after it opened. This sequence was projected so that
the offending anatomy was offscreen. I saw it again that year, after it
had been decided by someone or other that the show could go on, and the
projection was normal.

Carol Slingo