SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Joyce Ann Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 23:26:49 -0400
Hi all,

For what will hopefully be my dissertation, I am currently trying to
identify films of the 1930s which feature southern white women. The
films can be set either in or out of the South. While I am focusing on
the images of the belle and "lady," I'd also be interested in films which
feature poor white southern women and "hillbilly" or mountain women.

Other than the obvious Gone with the Wind and Jezebel, does anyone know
of any films from this period that feature southern women?

Also, I'm trying to determine the top fifty money-making (in terms of box
office sales) films in each year of the period. Does anyone know where I
might find this information? If I can't get the top fifty, I'd settle
for the top twenty-five or so. I tried the year-end issue of Variety,
but in the 1930 edition it only listed the top six films of the year.
I've managed to stump two reference librarians with this request.

Thanks for your help.

Joyce Miller
University of Maryland