SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 10:18:10 EDT

> Re: film history, I have used Jack Ellis' A HISTORY OF FILM (Prentice-Hall)
 and
> recommend it.
>
> The unique feature may be his focus in different eras on selected directors.
> For example, in the chapter, "Golden Age of French Cinema, 1935-1939," he
> treats Rene Clair, Marcel Pagnol, and Jean Vigo as forerunners of the period;
> offers a background on "Literary, Theatrical, and Painting Traditions";
> and then treats five major directors: Jacques Feyder, Julien Duvivier,
> Pagnol (again), Marcel Carne, and Jean Renoir.
>
> Any history is somewhat cursory, but I enjoyed Ellis' attempt to focus on a
 few
> elements in each period.
>

> Doyle Burke
> Mesa Community College (AZ)

Jack Ellis was my professor in Film School. The book is a distillation of his
Film History course which was outstanding. My notes from way back then, are
still viable. The book, unfortunately, is cursory, but he does cover an
an enourmous amount of material. My one objection to his approach, is that
film history is not really a linear development. Similar things were
happening at the same time in several places. The standard linear approach
to history makes developments appear to have influenced each other, when
in fact they did not.
+ Sandy Dwiggins Internet: [log in to unmask] +
+ Building 82, Room 111 Phone: (301) 496-7406 +
+ Bethesda, Maryland 20892 Fax: (301) 480-8105 +