SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Doyle Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 09:00:21 -0700
Bert!

If we can work something out, I can offer a possibility for electronic
exchanges among students.

I have the foreign film class, and our students have Internet access.

What cours(s) will you offer and what films will your students be discussing?

I am willing to explore other options for courses if necessary.

At any rate, Mesa Community College is a possibility for this collaboration.

By the way, I saw BLEU.  I liked the film very much, but it didn't open in
the Phoenix area, perhaps because of negative reviews and a preview audience
reaction.

Obviously, the film doesn't appeal to action-oriented viewers.  Moreover,
I believe viewes need to be able to enjoy the subtle transitions that occur
in woman's behavior.

I saw the film at a preview showing, and the man who arranges the viewings
said that BLEU was the first of a trilogy by Kieslowski.  The first, he said,
represented "freedom" (i. e., the color).

Presumably (I can't recall the woman's name--I shall call her Veronique),
Veronique retreats from all commitments to escape any emotional and social
ties.  She views the beating of a man in the alley, but does nothing to
help.

As a grief reaction, I believe her actions are logically motivated, as is the
subsequent reversal to accept responsibility for the music.

By the way, I am fascinated by music in his films.  I understand that neither
BLUE nor VERONIQUE soundtracks are available.  Do you know?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

Doyle Burke