SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Henry Breitrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 18:01:42 -0700
We've done a multi-media simulation on the early industrial history of
the American film. It's called MOGUL and is based on the rise of Adolph
Zukor. We did the development on videodisk (for film images) and a
dedicated hard disk, using Macintosh technology. It's currently being
ported to CD-ROM and should be available to others in ca. 6 months or
so.

This term, in the introductory film aesthetics course, the students are
doing their term papers on Word 5.1 for Macintosh and are embedding
Quicktime video excerpts as "video footnotes." Finally...maybe...we can
beat the problem of quotation in film writing. (I keep wondering why so
few of the films described by Kracauer actually look like he remembers
them.)

We tried this technique in a course in Film Images of African-Americans,
taught jointly by Anthropology and Communication last term, and it
worked quite well with 15 volunteers. Now we're doing it with 65
students as a normal part of the course.

Each student is lent a high-capacity SyQuest cartridge, and in essence
has a portable hard-disk. Next year, we will be able to network the
improved version of Quick-Time, promised soon from Apple, and we will
try to have available for the class.

One problem with this technology is the difficulty of answering the
inevitable student question "how long should the paper be." I suggested
ca. 30-40 megabytes of text and image (images eat lots of bytes) but it
was not a very informed guess.

-Henry Breitrose
 Stanford