SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 08:39:34 GMT

>I'm curious: what film/tv programs out there are integrating multimedia
>and internet in their curriculum? The University of Southern California
>has a class bringing close textual analysis and multimedia together. Any
>others?
>
>---Markus

Here in Sweden there is a move to write multimedia papers using Macintoshes
and QuickTime technology as well as implementing laserdiscs for film
studies programs. There are at least three university/colleges that are
implementing this or going to be starting with it by the Fall term. The
interesting part is that papers will be left on a server so that other
students may comment on their peer work. They will be using Word 5.1 and
making comments that can be read but not seen on printout. Nothing advanced
will be used in these analyses, but I am hoping to get time to study other
institutions interested in Multimedia and see what tools they are using.
Anyone interested in corresponding personally with me concerning this issue
and sharing any practical experience may write to my address below. I am
planning on using Macs, laserdiscs, QuickTime, possibly Digital Film,
HyperCard, and some other tool, possibly Authorware.... don't know yet.

As far as Internet is concerned, I hope to get my students online by the
Fall with discussion groups and using the Internet to search for
information relevant to paper research. The main problem is the access to
the computers and servers. The university wants to make sure no student can
get into our regular system through a back door so the implementation of a
student server is being investigated. Hopefully we will be up and running
by the Fall. I think it would be exciting for the students to have a forum
where they could exchange ideas and experiences with students from other
countries. Maybe it would be possible to set up communication between two
basic film courses in different countries and have a BBS on one of the
computers for communication and discussion as pat of the required
curriculum?

Anybody out there doing this already?

Cinematically yours,
BERT

* Bert Deivert Film Studies University of Karlstad *
* E-Mail: [log in to unmask] Box 9501 S-650 09 Karlstad *
* SWEDEN *