SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Tim Panton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 19:02:03 MET
On Sun, 10 Apr 1994 11:47:42 CDT, "Jeremy Butler" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 1994 23:39:30 EDT Robert Withers said:
> >
> >If screen-l were a usenet conference, I gather netters who don't have access
> >to usenet would still be able to access sceen-l via e-mail, as now?
>
> I should clarify:
>
> I don't mean to turn SCREEN-L solely into a Usenet newsgroup.  What I'm
> considering is a gateway between SCREEN-L and Usenet.  Most SCREEN-L
> subscribers would continue to receive SCREEN-L messages in the same way.
> The only difference is that the messages sent out to SCREEN-L subscribers
> would simultaneously be presented in a Usenet newsgroup.

My experience of gatewayed lists (xpert <--> comp.windows.x) was that the
"signal" came from the people on the mail side, and the noise from the
news side.

I'd expect that you would see a substantial increase in traffic (driving away
people like me who _pay_ for email by the Kb) without a corresponding increase
in quality of discussion.

My opinion is that usenet is nearing the end of its useful life, newer easier
technology will slowly replace it (eg mosaic).

Just my Guilder worth.

Tim.