SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
JZENTGRAF1 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 19:30:53 CDT
From:  John Zentgraf ([log in to unmask])

I am interested in examining the connections between the film "Field
of Dreams" and Greek mythology as a project for one of my writing
classes.  For example, there are more than just a few similarities
betwen this film and The Odyssey. I would like to hear some comments
from Screen-L subscribers regarding connections between Homer's epic
and "...Dreams" or between the film and other mythological tales.
Why do you suppose W. P. Kinsella and/or Phil Alden Robinson included
such ties in the novel/film?
Another question:  What comments do any subscribers have regarding
Terence Mann's speech near the end of the film ("The one constant
through all the years ...has been baseball...")?  Is there an equation
between baseball and mythology?  Is "America's favorite pastime" a
microcosm of American democracy, society, and  values as the film
seems to suggest?  Is baseball the "one constant" that has remained
unsullied in our minds over the years?
Thanks in advance for any comments you might have.  List postings or
E-mail messages will be much appreciated.

 John Zentgraf in Clio, MI

`[1;37;44mRainbow V 2.02 Registered