SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 17:37:14 CST
    I've been thinking about opening a gateway between SCREEN-L and
    Netnews.

    Netnews is a bulletin board system in which articles on a variety of
    topics are arranged in "newsgroups" and stored in a shared location
    from which individual users can read them.  These newsgroups can be
    shared with other sites to form a world-wide bulletin board system
    called Usenet.

    If we were to connect SCREEN-L with Netnews it would mean that SCREEN-L
    would appear on Usenet as a newsgroup named bit.listserv.screen-l.
    (There are already newsgroups called bit.listserv.cinema-l and
    bit.listserv.film-l.)  Persons who have access to Usenet could then
    subscribe to bit.listserv.screen-l and read all the messages posted on
    SCREEN-L, without going through the normal LISTSERV subscription
    process and having their name placed on the SCREEN-L subscription list.
    Usenet patron could also post messages on SCREEN-L, by sending them
    through this gateway.

    Usenet is an immense, international bulletin board system.  If we were
    to gate into it it might increase the volume of messages on SCREEN-L,
    but it would also extend SCREEN-L's reach to persons who might not
    normally subscribe to a LISTSERV.

    Anyway, it's an idea I'm toying with.  Any thoughts pro or con?

    --Jeremy

    Jeremy Butler
    SCREEN-L Coordinator