SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
NIGEL CURSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 09:34:00 BST
>        Does anyone out there know if the Cheers postal worker's name
>is Cliff Claven, or just Claibourne pronounced with a Boston accent?
>Bostonians? Cheers fans?

It's definitely Cla(i)ven - I think there's an i in there, although it was
years before I realised it wasn't Claibourne.

BTW I was in the US last year and went to the Bull & Finch in Boston (the
model for Cheers). This has now become a Cheers theme pub which is something
of a rip-off (albeit enjoyable). However, a few days earlier I was in a bar
in Watkins Glen in New York State and I met a real Cliff! There was this guy
in the corner of the bar (which was clearly jam-packed with regulars chewing
over the local news). Suddenly (and for no apparent reason) he said:

"Actually, you know, there is a male period. It's been scientifically proven -
it runs for six weeks."

He didn't have a mail bag though.

Nigel

Nigel Curson [log in to unmask]

Computing, Library and Media Services, University of North London
166-220 Holloway Road, London N7 8DB ENGLAND
Tel: 071-753 5173 Fax: 071-753 5120

                   "THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE...."
     ALL OPINIONS, BOTH STRANGE AND SENSIBLE, ARE MY OWN