SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Julie Friedline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 23:06:02 -0500
Ashley - I don't know of any work dedicated solely to laugh tracks, but
just as a point of interest -- Todd Gitlin in -Inside Prime Time- recounts
the disagreements over whether or not M*A*S*H (the tv series) should have
a laugh track. The producers didn't want it; CBS research indicated that
it tested higher (with test focus groups) -with- the laugh track. So the
laugh track stayed. Interestingly, Gitlin notes that in British
syndication, M*A*S*H ran without the laugh track. Apparently the Brits
know when to laugh, while we need cue cards!

Julie Friedline
Media Studies
U of Iowa