SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Tom Byers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 14:20:05 EDT
Department of English, University of Louisville
Phone: (502)852-6770 or (502)852-6801. Fax: (502)852-4182.
A recent post by Leigh Charles Goldstein tries to see BLADE RUNNER as an
"attempt to analyse people" rather than "to diagnose a sick society." For an
analysis of how the film diagnoses people IN ORDER TO diagnose and warn
against a sickness of late-capitalist society, may I suggest a look at my
essay, "Commodity Futures: Corporate State and Personal Style in Three Recent
Science-Fiction Movies" (SCIENCE FICTION STUDIES 14.3 [1987]; rpt as
"CommodityFutures" in Annette Kuhn, ed., ALIEN ZONE [Verso, 1990]: 39-50)?
Picking up another strand on the list, this essay also discusses the erasure,
in STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN, of systemic racial, national, class, or
gender conflict. Sorry for the self-advertising, but I thought this might be
pretty specifically relevant, especially on BLADE RUNNER. ALIEN ZONE is full
of essays on that film, by the way.

bitnet tbbyer01@ulkyvm; internet [log in to unmask]
Thomas B. Byers
Department of English/University of Louisville
Louisville KY 40292