SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Thomas Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 1994 00:06:06 CDT
In conjunction with a study of Erwin Panofsky's 1934/47 essay "Style and
Medium in the Motion Pictures" --the single most reprinted of all of his
works (!)-- I am trying to map the resonance of this text within the film
theoretical literature. Specifically, I would like to account for the
curious discrepancy between its virtually canonical status (anthologized
in Talbot, Mast & Cohen, etc) and the fact that it seems to have
provoked surprisingly little in the way of substantive critical/theoretical
response. Besides the discussions in Cavell's The World Viewed, in
Wollen's Signs and Meaning in the Cinema, and in Keith Cohen's Film and
Fiction, can anyone suggest any further work which responds to Panofsky
in however passing a fashion? Any suggestions/comments would be much
appreciated.

Tom Levin (Princeton University / Collegium Budapest)