SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
Alison McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 1994 17:17:00 PDT
>   I hate to be a nitpicker (not really), but Stella Dallas actually
> lived in Masachusetts. Not having seen Bette Midler's reincarnation
> of the role, I can't vouch for her geographical identity.
> Stephen Brophy

I was a tad confused by the SD-as-southern-woman citation -- but then,
tangentially, I *did* think of Marjorie Main, who plays Stella's mother
in the 1937 version and who (more to the point) appeared in the Ma and
Pa Kettle series . . . an offering for the "hillbilly" category.

Alison McKee
Department of Film and Television
UCLA