SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 1994 23:10:19 EDT
On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 23:26:49 -0400 Joyce Ann Miller said:
>Also, I'm trying to determine the top fifty money-making (in terms of box
>office sales) films in each year of the period. Does anyone know where I
>might find this information? If I can't get the top fifty, I'd settle
>for the top twenty-five or so. I tried the year-end issue of Variety,
>but in the 1930 edition it only listed the top six films of the year.
>I've managed to stump two reference librarians with this request.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Joyce Miller
>University of Maryland

VARIETY's reports of "Box Office Champs" were usually reported in the first
issue of the year; however, they did not print these lists every year.
Inspecting each annual issue is the only way I know of to locate these
data in VARIETY.

MOTION PICTURE ALMANAC also published similar lists; my memory is that
that publication was also published back into the 'thirties.

Failing here, I'd look at other trade papers, particularly MOTION PICTURE
HERALD whose constituency was exhibitors. Searching this source likely will
require page-by-page inspection.

As a final (or first) effort, the Motion Picture Producers Assn or the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences may maintain such a
historical record.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]> <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>