SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Kelley Conway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 1994 15:53:23 -0500
Actually, I read early on in the media coverage of the Kerrigan/Harding
thing that Nancy Kerrigan comes from a "blue collar" family.  But it's
interesting, Potter, that you nevertheless perceived her as "upper
class."  I think that her overall representation (costumes, hair, makeup,
etc.) worked to convey this impression.  But all of those other dualities
are definitely there (or have been constructed by the media).  For
instance, Time magazine feature side-by-side "boxed" profile of the two women.
In the "hobby" category, the article states that Tonya works on cars and hunts,
while Nancy does volunteer work for the blind.