SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
unlisted <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 16:37:57 -0800
                            U N D E R C U R R E N T
                             Call for Manuscripts
                                 [Please post]

UNDERCURRENT is a free journal available on the Internet through
e-mail subscriptions.  (See end of this message for how to subscribe for
free.)  We are seeking article submissions or
queries with abstracts providing an analysis of the present in
terms of discourses, events, representations, classes, or
cultures.  We seek to publish analysis of the present from
diverse intellectual perspectives--feminist, historical,
ethnological, sociological, literary, political, semiotic,
philosophical, cultural studies, and so forth.  We seek applied
analysis rather than theory.  Any theoretical orientation ought
instead to be apparent and immanent in your particular focus on
the present.  We especially encourage interdisciplinary work.
Article length varies according to your needs, anywhere from
"short-takes" of 500-1000 words to "feature" of up to 7500 words.

As its audience is potentially much broader than that of academic
journals held only in university libraries, the style must
account for an educated audience which is not necessarily
familiar with either the jargon or the debates in a special
field.  UNDERCURRENT wishes to publish articles that address this
broader audience while also conveying a vivid sense of how
current academic scholarship can contribute to our understanding
of the present.  We are attempting to bridge the gulf between
academia and the general reading public, a gulf which has allowed
various misperceptions about academia to become politically
overcharged in the popular media.

UNDERCURRENT is founded on four editorial principles which
together make it unique among journals.  It is interdisciplinary,
applied, accessible, and focussed on the present.  What do we
mean by these four principles?

1. "Interdisciplinary" means that it begins with academic
disciplines and works through/with/against them in new
combinations either within articles or between articles--in order
to see what might be revealed by crossing or fusing disciplinary
borders and/or creating new hybrids as tools of analysis.

2. "Applied" means that it publishes only articles which perform
an actual analysis rather than explore theoretical issues.
Theoretical discussions already have plenty of journals devoting
space to them in every discipline.  This is not the same as
saying that theory is banished from UNDERCURRENT, but rather that
it is only theory in action that we wish to publish.

3. "Accessible" means that the articles are aware of an audience
which is not privy to specialized terminology, proper names, and
the recent history of your discipline.  This is not the same as
saying that the articles thereby lose rigor, but rather that they
prove to be capable of interest and comprehension by any
intelligent, educated reader.

4. "The present" means that our articles demonstrate an awareness
of who we are now.  (We includes any group of people alive.)  An
analysis of the present highlights a force, trend, limit, idea,
custom, event, or structure which exerts some contemporary
influence.  The "present" can be either "residual," "dominant,"
or "emergent"--to use Raymond Williams' terms.

All submissions will receive a reply, however no copies can be
returned.  Any major citation format is acceptable, although
endnotes must be used rather than footnotes due to the
contingencies of various platforms for viewing electronic text.
Submissions and queries can be sent in any of the following ways,
in order of preference:

      1.> e-mail to "[log in to unmask]" and note in the
subject field that this is a submission to UNDERCURRENT

      2.> Mail a floppy diskette with your text in ASCII or
WordPerfect (address below).

      3.> Mail two copies of your essay by traditional post to:

                              UNDERCURRENT
                              Erick Heroux
                              Dept. of English
                              University of Oregon
                              Eugene, OR 97403

ABOUT FREE SUBSCRIPTIONS: You can subscribe yourself to UNDERCURRENT by
sending a one-line e-mail message:
         SUBSCRIBE UNDERCURRENT [log in to unmask]
Address it to:

Problems or questions can be e-mailed to   [log in to unmask]