SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Mary Jane Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 15:08:57 -0500
When the captain of the winning hockey team in the 93 NHL Stanley cup did
his traditional skate around the ice with the cup held up in his arms, in
close-up we could see his mouth moving [ the re was too much din to hear
anything] proclaiming in a puzzling non-sequitur, "I'm going to Disney
World ". Now we know why. Even though they are all professional athletes
inthe NHL [ aside: we wuz robbed at the Olypics - shoot-outs to decide the
gold - ridiculous] that little piece of on-ice propaganda for DW certainly
had a negative effect on me . There is a time and place - and in the middle
of the drama of a championship is no time - but the PR flacks seesm to be
unaware of the aesthetics of a dramatic climax. The things I learn from
SREEN_L.... mjm

Mary Jane Miller

Mary Jane Miller,
Dept. of Film Studies, Dramatic and Visual Arts,
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario,
Canada, L2S 3A1.

Phon;e (416) 688 5550 ext 3584, Fax: (416) 682 9020,
 e-mail: [log in to unmask]