SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 1994 18:37:39 -0800
On Sun, 20 Mar 1994, Justin McHale wrote:

> Can anyone tell me who controls the "product placement" in films? In
> fact can anyone point to literature about product placement.

Try the essay "Hollywood: The Ad," the final item in the anthology
"Seeing Through Movies" which was edited by Mark Crispin Miller, who
wrote the piece in question. He discusses the phenomenon from a critical
perspective (which is to say, how it affects our experience of films),
and I do believe the essay contains some history of the phenomenon and
some insight into its mechanics.

       Shawn Levy | "I used to have such sweet, sweet dreams,
  [log in to unmask] | But now it's more like an air raid."