SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

Sender:
From:
Tom Byers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 16:24:38 EST
Department of English, University of Louisville
Phone: (502)852-6770 or (502)852-6801. Fax: (502)852-4182.
I'm old enough to remember when all this started. I do think, as another
SCREEN-L note suggested, that part of it was to attract more women to the
audience. Part of it also was that in 1960 when Americans knew even less about
sports other than football, I think the network had serious doubts about the
interest of the events themselves. That's why ABC (on Wide World of Sports)
gave us "the human drama of athletic competition." They also brought in Jim
McKay at that point--he was always the worst of them about this to me, esp. in
'72 when the Israeli athletes were killed. It's no accident, I'm convinced,
that his previous job was as host of DIVORCE COURT. Speaking of WIDE WORLD,
does everyone remember the ski jumper crashing on "the agony of defeat"?
Someone told me that one of the late night TV types (Letterman I think) said
that recent investigations had implicated Tonya Harding in that footage.

bitnet tbbyer01@ulkyvm; internet [log in to unmask]
Thomas B. Byers
Department of English/University of Louisville
Louisville KY 40292