SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Sandy Dwiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 15:22:41 EST

> Without being too contentious here (as I've been *asked* not to be),
> I think that Jane Campion sets all of this up very well, and anyone
> who doesn't see the romance, the lust, that has built up between
> these two characters must have missed the point completely.  This is
> sad, because I feel that it's quite possibly the most intense moment
> in the entire film, and one to be savored, not ridiculed.
>
> - Chris White

Thanks, Chris...I think you've done the list a service by giving your
interpretation. I found the same to be true...The first time that
Baines takes her to the piano and he walks around the beach comtemplating
Aida and the child as both play and both are so free..clearly he has
brought both of them to their freedom...He lets them do what they need
to do to be themselves...and somehow communicates in his patience with
what they need to do, how he feels about Aida...

+  Sandy Dwiggins               Internet: [log in to unmask]        +
+  Building 82, Room 111        Phone: (301) 496-7406                    +
+  Bethesda, Maryland 20892     Fax:   (301) 480-8105                    +