SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 23:05:00 EST
Although I have never seen Hard Target, I do believe that John Woo is
one of the greatest action/whatever directors to come along recently.
Despite visual flair of his movies, I have found several of his films
like Hardboiled, A Better Tomorrow II, as, well, dumb. Many are strict-
ly entertainment (Once a Thief) but my faith in Woo's greatness came
when I saw A Better Tomorrow (the first one) despite the melodrama.
The Killer ain't bad either. But style doesn't make a great movie.

But despite all the hype, Woo shouldn't be singled out. Much interest-
ing stuff is supposedly coming out of the so-called "Hong Kong New Wave"
--directors like Tsui Hark and the Shaw brothers are said to be equally
great but less publicized -- at least in the U.S.

Furthermore, despite all the Woo hype and exposure of Hard Target, word
has it that Woo is unable to find any American backers for his next
project Hardboiled 2 and is seeking Hong Kong investors.

And speaking of best films, Leslie Cheung, who is getting all this
praise for his role in Farewell My Concubine, is also a star in many a
Woo flick. Trivia.
--Sterling Chen