SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
Steven Blacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 15:13:28 -0800
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Edmund Carlevale wrote:

> For a book and an upcoming trip to LA I need to know what special
> archives  are available in the Los Angeles area, specifically in regards
> to films of the '30s.  Books, films, costumes, scripts, anything
> available to a researcher.

I would suggest that you begin your research at the Library of The
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills; the
collection is open to all and extensive. (General info: 310.247.3035).

Also, each of the major studios has allowed researchers access to their
materials, but the rules differ in each case and this always requires
that you make contact with the studios in advance. If the material you
seek is not available elsewhere, the somewhat bureaucratic procedures for
gaining access can be worth the effort.